Copy App from iPad to iPad Mini

Wade Garrett

Jul 21, 2018, 11:34:54 AM7/21/18
Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.

With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?

Keith Keith

Jul 21, 2018, 12:04:21 PM7/21/18
Hello Wade,
Try an Android device, not a closed system.

Wade Garrett

Jul 21, 2018, 12:21:19 PM7/21/18
Thanks for the tip.

I have a couple of Androids-- but what I'm trying to do here is copy an
app from/to an iPad. Got any suggestions to do that?

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 1:02:14 PM7/21/18
In article <17579001e0638...@news.aioe.org>, Keith Keith
it's the same on android. simply download the app from the playstore
again, the same as on ios.

what is not the same is that it's much, much harder to make a full
backup on android, including apps.

and android is not as open as you might think. just ask the eu, who
fined google $5 billion for locking it down.

try harder next time.

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 1:02:15 PM7/21/18
In article <pivjqt$nnh$1...@news.albasani.net>, Wade Garrett
it should still be available for download for you even though new users
cannot download it anymore. it would also be available in an itunes
backup.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 3:18:11 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 10:02:14 GMT, nospam wrote:

> it should still be available for download for you even though new users
> cannot download it anymore. it would also be available in an itunes
> backup.

On Android, all the free apps have to do is *exist* on any device that you
can get your hands on (it doesn't even have to be yours, since it's a free
app).
<http://comp.mobile.ipad.narkive.com/W15YqXaH/how-do-you-install-hundreds-of-free-apps-on-your-ios-device-from-all-your-friend-s-and-other-people->

That device can be almost any version of Android, and almost any brand and
model, and the two devices can by years apart.

All you do is run a "zip" program that automatically "re-packages" the app
(even years after it was installed) into an APK.

Once it's an APK, the number of ways to get that APK from any one phone on
the planet to any other is bewhilderingly wide open, so, I'll just state
that you can plug in any two Android devices to the same desktop and you
can slide those APKs from each phone to the other (even system apps), and
the chances of it working are universally almost certain.

I've been doing this for *years*, where, rarely, some pre-installed apps,
like "paper artist" are payware that came free on some phones, so they
don't work on a different model, and some apps might not work on the later
versions of Android, so it's not 100% certain, but it's almost 100% in my
experience.

Of course, both you and Jolly Roger proclaimed the imaginary iOS
functioanlity, so, let's see how successful the OP is in doing what he
wants to do on iOS.

If your "advice" works for the OP, I'm all ears as I have bought *plenty*
of iOS devices I'd love to move the apps around where each one has a
different ID.

To the OP:
- Please *do* follow nospams (and Jolly Roger's) advice, and let the rest
of us know how successful you are in following their suggestions.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 3:18:12 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 09:21:17 GMT, Wade Garrett wrote:

> I have a couple of Androids-- but what I'm trying to do here is copy an
> app from/to an iPad. Got any suggestions to do that?

As Keith Keith said, on Android, any app can be "zipped" after the fact to
an APK and then moved to any other Android device, with a 99% chance of
working (even if the devices are different and five years apart, in my
experience).

When I asked how to do the same thing (which is what you want to do), on
iOS, both Jolly Roger and nospam literally screamed that iOS can do exactly
what Android can do in terms of copying free already-installed apps from
any one iOS device to another (even if you don't own either device).
<http://comp.mobile.ipad.narkive.com/W15YqXaH/how-do-you-install-hundreds-of-free-apps-on-your-ios-device-from-all-your-friend-s-and-other-people->

Hence you should read this thread and follow Jolly Roger's and nospams
instructions on how to move an installed app from one iOS device to another
using IPA files.

Please do let us know how it works out for you as the question is EXACTLY
what you're asking that they repeatedly said they answered.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 3:18:13 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 10:02:12 GMT, nospam wrote:

> it's the same on android. simply download the app from the playstore
> again, the same as on ios.

There *are* cases where the app is no longer available, particularly in the
*version* that you like, where the functionality and freedom on Android so
far surpasses that of the Orwellian iOS architecture that it's not funny.

> what is not the same is that it's much, much harder to make a full
> backup on android, including apps.

Hehhehhehheh... You always guess wrong nospam.

*The monkey does better than you do, nospam, on accuracy.*

I can easily back up *all* my hundreds of already-installed free apps (even
system apps if I want to) automatically on Android and then just slide the
APKs from *any* one device to any other device (where the Android devices
can be years apart, many OS versions different, and not even owned by any
one person).

Proof here:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.ipad/z_vztaAbOfM>

> and android is not as open as you might think. just ask the eu, who
> fined google $5 billion for locking it down.

You, nospam, *consistently* blame Android for lack of iOS functionality!

It's a fact that the OP could *easily* do exactly what the OP wants to do
if his phone were Android and not an Orwellian restricted iOS architecture.

> try harder next time.

Your problem, nospam, is that you always "just guess".

Where, yet again nopsam, you guessed wrong.
The monkey does better than you, nospam, on accuracy.

You have zero credibility, nospam, since you almost always guess wrong.

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 3:47:42 PM7/21/18
In article <pj00tk$eku$4...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> I can easily back up *all* my hundreds of already-installed free apps (even
> system apps if I want to) automatically on Android

nowhere near as easily as on ios.

on ios, all that's needed to backup *everything* is connect the device
to a usb power adapter (not a computer), as backups are deferred while
on battery power for reasons that should be obvious (but likely are
not).

it doesn't get any easier than that.

> and then just slide the
> APKs from *any* one device to any other device (where the Android devices
> can be years apart, many OS versions different, and not even owned by any
> one person).

nope, since apps are dependent on specific api levels.

an app that requires nougat will not work on lollipop, and if it should
launch for some reason (because the developer forgot to check) it will
quickly crash.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:08:09 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 12:47:41 GMT, nospam wrote:

> nowhere near as easily as on ios.

It's *impossible* on iOS to do what Android does, so, I guess, from your
standpoint (and often to the same standpoint with Jolly Roger) "just giving
up" on iOS sure is easier than backing up any version of any already
installed app (even system apps) to (almost) any phone no matter what the
ID is.

> on ios, all that's needed to backup *everything* is connect the device
> to a usb power adapter (not a computer), as backups are deferred while
> on battery power for reasons that should be obvious (but likely are
> not).

On Android, you don't even have to do that!

All my backups are entirely automatic, every version, every app (even
system apps if you want). The moment I install the free app (I only load
free apps), it's backed up. Every version. Every update. Each one is
*separate* so that I can backtrack if I don't like the update. And it works
on almost all Android phones (i.e., it doesn't matter what the ID is).

Not only is the iOS method Orwellian, but it requires *hundreds* of
megabytes of the iTunes abomination to work, whereas, on Android, it just
works on the phone like it should (where automatic copying the files to the
cloud or to a hard drive on the LAN is trivial).

> it doesn't get any easier than that.

On Android, it's not only far easier than that, but it's also more
powerful.

The moment the app is installed or updated, it's backed up.
And free apps can be used on almost any Android device (i.e., any ID).

> nope, since apps are dependent on specific api levels.
>
> an app that requires nougat will not work on lollipop, and if it should
> launch for some reason (because the developer forgot to check) it will
> quickly crash.

There are two cases where the app won't work, but where in my experience,
and in the experience of most Android users who have posted to c.m.a, is
only a very small percentage of free apps (mostly system apps or
pre-installed apps like "paper artist" which aren't free except when pre
installed).
1. The app might make calls that aren't supported on the OS version, and,
2. The app may be purposefully restricted (e.g., paperartist).

While I love that you always blame Android for the lack of functionality on
iOS, you'd have *worse* issues with iOS simply because the "portability" of
the IPAs is nothing like that of the APKs (e.g., IDs are meaningless on
almost all free Android apps so what works on one user's phone will work on
almost all users' phones, unless there is an API restriction).

sms

Jul 21, 2018, 4:09:52 PM7/21/18
I don't think that there is any way to do side-loading on a
non-jail-broken iOS device. Allowing this sort of thing would be a
security risk.

I've run into this issue on Android, and as long as you have a device
with the removed app you can get it onto the new device by transferring
the APK and allow "Unknown Sources."

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 4:21:12 PM7/21/18
In article <pj03r7$jci$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> It's *impossible* on iOS to do what Android does,

very possible.

*you* personally think some things are impossible (despite explanations
how to do it), while others have *no* issue doing it and much more,
with less hassle too.

> All my backups are entirely automatic, every version, every app (even
> system apps if you want).

no they aren't, and whatever you set up took a *lot* of effort which
you rambled about on numerous occasions. you've also repeatedly
explained how you juggle numerous sd cards, where you keep your apks.

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 4:21:13 PM7/21/18
In article <pj03uf$tf6$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.
> >
> > With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
> > from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?
>
> I don't think that there is any way to do side-loading on a
> non-jail-broken iOS device. Allowing this sort of thing would be a
> security risk.

there is and it isn't, plus he's not sideloading anyway so that's not
relevant.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:22:22 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 13:09:46 GMT, sms wrote:

> I don't think that there is any way to do side-loading on a
> non-jail-broken iOS device. Allowing this sort of thing would be a
> security risk.
>
> I've run into this issue on Android, and as long as you have a device
> with the removed app you can get it onto the new device by transferring
> the APK and allow "Unknown Sources."

Hi sms,
Thanks for being a voice of reason and intellectual logic.

What I find disturbing is that folks like nospam and Jolly Roger, Lewis,
BK@OnRamp, and a host of others, *purposfully* mis-advise people like the
OP.

Years ago, it used to frustrate me that nobody could ever reproduce what
people like nospam and Jolly Roger claim (since it's wholly fictional iOS
functionality that they always claim).

The question I would like to ask you, as one reasonable adult to another,
is "why" on earth do they do that? Why do they just jerk people like the OP
around literally screaming imaginary iOS functionality that simply doesn't
exist?

I can see that they literally hate me, so they claim whatever they want
with me, where I've learned long ago that their claims simply don't exist
(e.g., the recent IPA claims by both nospam and Jolly Roger in this
thread):
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.ipad/z_vztaAbOfM>

But most of us are adults who are *purposefully helpful* to people like the
OP, where these half-dozen so-called Apple Apologists will brazenly
fabricate imaginary functionality that simple doesn't exist (e.g., the WiFi
recording functionality of this classic thread):
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/IK0TZ3LxGgQ[1-25]>

While it's eminently clear that these die-hard apple apologists don't even
look at the Y axis of the apps they repeatedly scream as being equivalent
to functionality on Android, they do go to some trouble to play silly
semantic games, such as Jolly Roger and nospam do on the cellular recording
functionality (where they claim what no longer exists, still exists, simply
because they can find iOS 4 pictures of it on the net when it did exist).
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/yO6Iy7PydDk/czTWvryhDwAJ>

Clearly there can only be two possible reasons for their duplicity:
a. They don't know what they're talking about (i.e., they make it all up),
b. Or, they fabricate imaginary iOS functionality for reasons unknown.

Since they are almost always dead wrong, they must clearly have zero
intention on being helpful ... hence ... the question, I ask, of you, whom
I consider a logical adult, is "why".

*Specifically, why can _you_ tell the truth about iOS, but they can't?*

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 4:35:38 PM7/21/18
In article <pj04lt$knt$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> Years ago, it used to frustrate me that nobody could ever reproduce what
> people like nospam and Jolly Roger claim (since it's wholly fictional iOS
> functionality that they always claim).

bullshit.

not only could they, but they did *and* they explained to you how, yet
you *still* failed.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:36:45 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 13:21:11 GMT, nospam wrote:

> very possible.

Heh hehheh... and yet, the OP has a question, where sms and other
reasonable sentient logical adults, have explained that he can't do what he
wants to do on iOS (under most circumstances).

> *you* personally think some things are impossible (despite explanations
> how to do it), while others have *no* issue doing it and much more,
> with less hassle too.

Hehhehheh... you play this silly game that you've told us so many times,
where the fact is that you lied every time you said almost anything on this
newsgroup and we've proven that so many times, that you 'telling' us that
the sky is green doesn't make the sky green.

Even if you repeat that you've told us that the sky is green umpteen times.

> no they aren't, and whatever you set up took a *lot* of effort

Hehjhehheh... I load one free app, and I set the settings to back up all
apps and all versions automatically to whatever device memory I wnat to
back up to.

That's hard for you maybe.

But think about the fact that it *is* automatic, and completely
unrestricted, and better yet, it doesn't require a computer, nor a computer
with hundreds upon hundreds of megabytes of the iTunes abomination
bloatware on it, nor the cloud.

> which
> you rambled about on numerous occasions. you've also repeatedly
> explained how you juggle numerous sd cards, where you keep your apks.

You're always consistent in blaming Android for lack of iOS functionality.

To wit, it's amazing that you think "juggling SD cards" is a bad thing,
when I can populate an SD card with up to 2 terabytes of data (if I had a
card that big, but which my phone can accept if I had it).

Most of my phones are 8GB or 16GB, so it's nice to have that extra 256GB of
storage on the SD Cards, which is *impossible* on iOS. My latest device is
32GB and I've already used up 28GB with movies (each of which is around
4GB) and apps (where I have over a hundred and fifty apps installed, many
of which are map apps with their data).

So when I pop in an SD Card, to extend my 32GB even further, you seem to
consider that a "bad thing".

What I love about you nopsam, is that your responses can all be predicted,
years ahead of time, just as Jolly Roger's can.

*. You're never purposefully helpful to an OP when you don't like the question
*. You brazenly & repeatedly loudly fabricate wholly imaginary iOS functionality
*. You "just guess" where your credibility is worthless (since you guess wrong)
*. You incessantly play silly childish word games instead of facing facts
*. You almost never back up your guesses (because you know they're wrong)
*. And yet, you consistently repeat you've "told us" (which is hilarious)
*. You consistently *blame Android* for the lack of functionality on iOS

These are facts.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:37:05 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 13:21:12 GMT, nospam wrote:

> there is and it isn't,

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 4:41:34 PM7/21/18
In article <pj05hg$lmu$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> my responses can all be predicted,
> years ahead of time,

ftfy

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 4:41:34 PM7/21/18
In article <pj05gs$lmp$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> > very possible.
>
> Heh hehheh... and yet, the OP has a question, where sms and other
> reasonable sentient logical adults, have explained that he can't do what he
> wants to do on iOS (under most circumstances).

except that apple says he can, and very easily too.

anyone who claims it can't be done is ignorant or trolling, and in your
case, both.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:43:26 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 20:36:45 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> Most of my phones are 8GB or 16GB, so it's nice to have that extra 256GB of
> storage on the SD Cards, which is *impossible* on iOS. My latest device is
> 32GB and I've already used up 28GB with movies (each of which is around
> 4GB) and apps (where I have over a hundred and fifty apps installed, many
> of which are map apps with their data).

Actually, the movies are smaller than 4GB each, so I should look deeper
into where the 28GB storage is going, but it doesn't really matter simply
*because* I can 'juggle an SD card of up to 2TB size if I want to and I
immediately have more storage for my APKs, map data, and a/v media.

You blame Android's ability to "juggle" SD cards for iOS' flaws.

What's next. You'll complain that I can "juggle" batteries?

HINT: I can go on a camping trip and bring a half-dozen batteries if I want
to, and I won't need to charge them since I never buy an Android phone
anymore that doesn't allow me to "juggle" and SD card and a removable
battery - neither of which functionality is available on any iOS device
ever sold.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:47:56 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 13:35:38 GMT, nospam wrote:

> not only could they, but they did *and* they explained to you how, yet
> you *still* failed.

Hehhehheh ... as I said, anyone can predict *every* response from you,
nospam, years ahead of time, simply because you always do one or more of
the following.

*. You're never purposefully helpful to an OP when you don't like the question
*. You brazenly & repeatedly loudly fabricate wholly imaginary iOS functionality
*. You "just guess" where your credibility is worthless (since you guess wrong)
*. You incessantly play silly childish word games instead of facing facts
*. You almost never back up your guesses (oh, yeah, "The Sun", hehhehheh)
*. And yet, you consistently repeat you've "told us" (which is hilarious)
*. You consistently blame Android for the lack of functionality on iOS

Those are facts.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 4:57:01 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 13:41:33 GMT, nospam wrote:

>> my responses can all be predicted,
>> years ahead of time,
>
> ftfy

Oh, I did forget one of the classic responses that both you and Jolly Roger
have to bona fide facts.
Why does Jolly Roger habitually fabricate quoted content?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/FJ0ScwZ9sLE/d40Bp9jKDQAJ>

You, nospam, and Jolly Roger apparently desperately want to *feel* clever,
so what you do in response to facts you don't like is you habitually
*fabricate* imaginary conversations in quoted content that never happened,
just so that you can "appear clever" to yourself in your response!
Why do the iOS trolls like Jolly Roger & nospam always FABRICATE
conversations... just so they can sound "witty" in response?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/GExRc1qrFGo/JBzdCKSSAwAJ>

There are multiple threads on why you do this, all of which is proven fact!
Hence, one more item to the list of your childish tactics...
*. You're never purposefully helpful to an OP when you don't like the question
*. You brazenly & repeatedly loudly fabricate wholly imaginary iOS functionality
*. You "just guess" where your credibility is worthless (since you guess wrong)
*. You incessantly play silly childish word games instead of facing facts
*. You consistently fabricate quoted content that never happened
(and then you respond to that imaginary quoted content as if it did!)

sms

Jul 21, 2018, 5:00:59 PM7/21/18
Good luck with the batteries going forward. The LG Stylo 4 dropped the
removable battery.

The SD card functionality is indeed useful. But some Android phones have
dropped it which is too bad.

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 5:13:28 PM7/21/18
In article <pj06ub$fi4$2...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Good luck with the batteries going forward. The LG Stylo 4 dropped the
> removable battery.

plug it into the car to charge, or bring an external battery, some of
which are good for numerous full charges, and they're cheap too.

> The SD card functionality is indeed useful. But some Android phones have
> dropped it which is too bad.

actually, not that useful because of adoptable storage (once adopted,
it can't be removed without causing problems), plus sd cards are much
slower than internal memory as well as being a security risk.

Arlen Holder

Jul 21, 2018, 5:16:34 PM7/21/18
On 21 Jul 2018 14:00:55 GMT, sms wrote:

> Good luck with the batteries going forward. The LG Stylo 4 dropped the
> removable battery.
>
> The SD card functionality is indeed useful. But some Android phones have
> dropped it which is too bad.

Thanks sms for letting me know that the LG Stylo went to the dark side.

As you're aware, I've bought phones with and without both the SD Card slot
and the removable battery, where, in my last visit to Costco to buy a gift
phone, I told them right away that they should only show me
price-performance competitive phones that have *both* an sd card slot and a
removable battery.

All other phones are, to me, virtually worthless, since, for example, even
today, the LG Stylo 3 Plus is $179 at Costco and it has both and it's a
fine phone (compare it to the hardware specs, for example, of the iPhone 7
Plus and you'll see that in almost all hardware, the five-times-more
expensive iPhone is either the same functionality, or lesser functionality,
or in many cases, completely missing the hardware functionality).
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/HDI8moW_4Pw[1-25]>

You may not know that I'm not beholden to LG or to Samsung or to Motorola
or to Google or to Apple, since, as you know, I've had them all (and then
some, like Kyocera and Blackberry).

While nospam always finds the *worst* price:performance he can find, I
always find the best that I can achieve. So my next Android phone, five or
six years from now, will be whatever is the best price:performance at that
time (unless I break this current phone sooner).

Actually, that's one more thing predictable about nospam's responses, which
is that in blaming Android for all of iOS' mistakes, he alwyas chooses the
*worst* price:performance he can find.

I'll add it to the list.

If you can help answer the question as to "why" people like nospam and
Jolly Roger are so patently and purposefully unhelpful to any OP, it would
be useful.

*Why do you think nospam purposefully misleads people like the OP?*

--
NOTE: I'm not asking why they brazenly lie to every one of my threads,
since I almost always know the answer to every question I ask, where I am

Jolly Roger

Jul 21, 2018, 5:57:40 PM7/21/18
You can install and use iTunes version 12.6.4 to download iOS apps from
the App Store to your computer, and sync them with an iOS device you
want:

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079>

I keep a macOS install with this version of iTunes in a VMware Fusion VM
for app archival purposes. I have ever version of every app installed on
all of my iOS devices archived going back a few years.

JR

Jolly Roger

Jul 21, 2018, 6:05:05 PM7/21/18
Yep. Here's a crash course in grabbing anything you want out of iTunes
backups:

If you open iTunes Preferences > Devices, you can right-click any of the
backups listed there and choose Show in Finder to open a window showing
the backup folder to figure out which folder corresponds to the backup
you want.

In this example the backup folder is at:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/1e126e0c5462e509b639cd35d90f6b81a824fd15

Assuming the iTunes backup you want to access is not encrypted, here's
how to find the specific backup information you want within the backup
directory:

You will notice the backup folders in the backup directory contain a
slew of files and folders with obfuscated names like
“992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a”. But there is a particular
file named "Manifest.db” in the backup folder that is a SQLite database
containing a list of all files in the backup.

You can dump the manifest database to a CSV (comma-separated values)
file in a terminal window after changing the working directory to the
database folder (like ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
1f825e0c3462e509ba39cd35d90feb81a824fd14/) like so:

# cd ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/1f825e0c3462e509ba39cd35d90feb81a824fd14

# sqlite3 Manifest.db

SQLite version 3.8.10.2 2015-05-20 18:17:19

Enter ".help" for usage hints.

sqlite> .tables

Files Properties

sqlite> .mode csv

sqlite> .output Manifest.csv

sqlite> select * from Files;

sqlite> .exit

After issuing these commands, you will see a new “Manifest.csv” file in
the same folder as the “Manifest.db” file. You can open this CSV file
with spreadsheet program or any plain text editor to view its contents.

In a spreadsheet program, the CSV output will appear as a normal
spreadsheet with rows and columns of information.

If you examine the CSV output in a plain text editor, you will notice
there is one line for each file in the backup in this comma-separated
format:

992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a,HomeDomain,Library/Voicemail/voicemail.db,1,"bplist00.........."

Note: Each column of information in the example plain text line above is
separated by a comma.

The first column contains the obfuscated name of the file in the backup:
992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a.

The second column contains the domain identifier of the file:
HomeDomain.

The third column contains the relative path and name of the file - in
this example, it is the voicemail database file: Library/Voicemail/
voicemail.db.

The obfuscated filename (column 1) happens to be a simple SHA1 hash of
the domain identifier (column 2) and the pathname (column 3), which
means you can easily calculate the obfuscated name of any file in the
list by creating an SHA1 hash of a string containing the domain (2) and
pathname (3) like so:

# php -r '$h = hash ("SHA1", "HomeDomain-Library/Voicemail/voicemail.db"); print "$h\n";'

992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a

So in this example, this database entry shows there is a “voicemail.db”
database file with the domain identifier “HomeDomain” with an obfuscated
name of “992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a” within the backup
folder.

Next you just need to find the file with that obfuscated name. One way
to do a quick file search on the command line is to issue a 'find'
terminal command within the backup folder:

# find ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ -name 992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a

./99/992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a

The output above of “./99/992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a”
shows that in this example, the voicemail database file is named
“992df473bbb9e132f4b3b6e4d33f72171e97bc7a” and is in a subordinate
folder named “99” within the backup folder.

So to find an app, locate the appropriate iTunes backup folder, scan the
manifest database as described above to find the app you want, get the
obfuscated name from the same database entry, and then find the file
with the same obfuscated filename within the backup folder.

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 6:08:06 PM7/21/18
In article <frhp0f...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Here's a crash course in grabbing anything you want out of iTunes
> backups:

or just use one of the various backup extractor apps.

Savageduck

Jul 21, 2018, 6:26:39 PM7/21/18
On Jul 21, 2018, sms wrote
(in article <pj06ub$fi4$2...@dont-email.me>):

> Good luck with the batteries going forward. The LG Stylo 4 dropped the
> removable battery.

There are plenty of portable battery/battery bank options for recharging, or
maintaining the charge on both Android, or iOS devices. this one is pretty
flexible, and there are many others which are less costly:

<https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperjuice-ac-battery-pack-100wh-26-
000mah>

> The SD card functionality is indeed useful. But some Android phones have
> dropped it which is too bad.

Sandisk provides several non-SD solutions for USB-C, Lightning,& Wifi:

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ultra-dual-drive-usb-m-3>

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/connect-wireless-stick>

...and for iOS there is iXpand, I have a 128GB one of these which has proven
to be quite useful:

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

Jul 21, 2018, 6:32:33 PM7/21/18
On Jul 21, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in article<0001HW.2103EA9A01...@news.giganews.com>):

> On Jul 21, 2018, sms wrote
> (in article <pj06ub$fi4$2...@dont-email.me>):
>

> > Good luck with the batteries going forward. The LG Stylo 4 dropped the
> > removable battery.
>
> There are plenty of portable battery/battery bank options for recharging, or
> maintaining the charge on both Android, or iOS devices. this one is pretty
> flexible, and there are many others which are less costly:
>
> <https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperjuice-ac-battery-pack-100wh-26-000mah>
> >
> > The SD card functionality is indeed useful. But some Android phones have
> > dropped it which is too bad.
>
> Sandisk provides several non-SD solutions for USB-C, Lightning,& Wifi:
>
> <https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ultra-dual-drive-usb-m-3>
>
> <https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/connect-wireless-stick>

...and they also have this:

<https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ultra-dual-usb-drive-3>

Jolly Roger

Jul 21, 2018, 6:34:55 PM7/21/18
On 2018-07-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
Yeah, but that's just lazy. : D

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 7:17:37 PM7/21/18
In article <0001HW.2103EA9A01...@news.giganews.com>,

> There are plenty of portable battery/battery bank options for recharging, or
> maintaining the charge on both Android, or iOS devices. this one is pretty
> flexible, and there are many others which are less costly:
>
> <https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperjuice-ac-battery-pack-100wh-26-
> 000mah>

yikes. i bought one with half the capacity for 1/10th the price, and
that's still more capacity than i need since i typically get more than
2 days on a single charge, but for $20, it's in the who cares category.

Savageduck

Jul 21, 2018, 7:54:07 PM7/21/18
On Jul 21, 2018, nospam wrote
(in article<210720181917369000%nos...@nospam.invalid>):
Yup! I gave an upmarket, feature loaded version as an example, but if anybody
were to ask, I would steer them toward the Anker range of power banks. They
have several different configurations, and are affordable for most folks.

<https://www.anker.com/products/107/power-banks>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Wade Garrett

Jul 21, 2018, 7:58:23 PM7/21/18
On 7/21/18 5:57 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2018-07-21, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>> Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.
>>
>> With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
>> from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?
>
> You can install and use iTunes version 12.6.4 to download iOS apps from
> the App Store to your computer, and sync them with an iOS device you
> want:
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079>
>
> I keep a macOS install with this version of iTunes in a VMware Fusion VM
> for app archival purposes. I have ever version of every app installed on
> all of my iOS devices archived going back a few years.

Thanks JR.

I d/l iTunes 12.6.4 and installed it- but it wouldn't run. Error message
said something about an existing file- or maybe the library- was created
with a later version.

The detailed suggestions in your other post- and some from other folks-
are way above my pay grade and I'll have to pass on them.

The app in question is actually only a silly game (Solitaire by
Byterun). I'll look through the many Solitaires in the App Store and see
how close I can get to what I like about Byterun's.

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 8:04:25 PM7/21/18
In article <0001HW.2103FF1A01...@news.giganews.com>,

> > > There are plenty of portable battery/battery bank options for recharging,
> > > or
> > > maintaining the charge on both Android, or iOS devices. this one is pretty
> > > flexible, and there are many others which are less costly:
> > >

> > > <https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperjuice-ac-battery-pack-100wh-26-00
> > > 0mah>
> >
> > yikes. i bought one with half the capacity for 1/10th the price, and
> > that's still more capacity than i need since i typically get more than
> > 2 days on a single charge, but for $20, it's in the who cares category.
>
> Yup! I gave an upmarket, feature loaded version as an example, but if anybody
> were to ask, I would steer them toward the Anker range of power banks. They
> have several different configurations, and are affordable for most folks.
>
> <https://www.anker.com/products/107/power-banks>

my vote is for monoprice, and they're cheaper than when i bought mine.

20k mah for $21
<https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_
id=35357&seq=1&format=2>
10k mah for under $13
<https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_
id=15120&seq=1&format=2>

nospam

Jul 21, 2018, 8:04:26 PM7/21/18
In article <pj0hau$ca9$1...@news.albasani.net>, Wade Garrett
<wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

> I d/l iTunes 12.6.4 and installed it- but it wouldn't run. Error message
> said something about an existing file- or maybe the library- was created
> with a later version.

the latter.

> The detailed suggestions in your other post- and some from other folks-
> are way above my pay grade and I'll have to pass on them.

the thread derailed due to trolls.

> The app in question is actually only a silly game (Solitaire by
> Byterun). I'll look through the many Solitaires in the App Store and see
> how close I can get to what I like about Byterun's.

all you need to do is look in your purchase history.

once you download an app, it's available to be re-downloaded on any
other device you own, whether or not it's still available for new
users.

sms

Jul 22, 2018, 12:30:14 AM7/22/18
On 7/21/2018 2:16 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2018 14:00:55 GMT, sms wrote:
>
>> Good luck with the batteries going forward. The LG Stylo 4 dropped the
>> removable battery.
>>
>> The SD card functionality is indeed useful. But some Android phones have
>> dropped it which is too bad.
>
> Thanks sms for letting me know that the LG Stylo went to the dark side.

It's a low cost phone and removable batteries add expense. How many
people actually buy spare batteries or replace a worn out battery? Not
many. The latter is still possible of course, just not easy.

An SD care is extremely useful in multiple ways, not just to add storage
capacity.

> *Why do you think nospam purposefully misleads people like the OP?*

Not explainable.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 12:33:20 AM7/22/18
On 21 Jul 2018 17:04:25 GMT, nospam wrote:

> the thread derailed due to trolls.

That's funny coming from you.

Besides, it looks like the OP just gave up.

:)

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 12:33:22 AM7/22/18
On 21 Jul 2018 14:13:27 GMT, nospam wrote:

> actually, not that useful because of adoptable storage (once adopted,
> it can't be removed without causing problems), plus sd cards are much
> slower than internal memory as well as being a security risk.

The sdcard is perfect for storage of movies, pictures, and APKs, map data,
large documents, and other large data that otherwise would fill up your
internal storage.

What's really nice is that you can instantly populate another phone with
all the free apps (I have hundreds of them) just by popping the sdcard in
and running the APKs, even if the other phone has a completely different
ID.

On iOS, first off, you can't do that because you don't have a sdcard, and
secondly, even if you could copy the IPAs with the help of hundreds upon
hundreds of megabytes of the iTunes abomination and a separate computer,
the free Apple App Store apps wouldn't even work on another person's device
anyway due to the Orwellian ID issues inherent in the restricted iOS
ecosystem.

nospam

Jul 22, 2018, 12:38:16 AM7/22/18
In article <pj11eg$3ho$4...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> On iOS, first off, you can't do that because you don't have a sdcard, and
> secondly, even if you could copy the IPAs with the help of hundreds upon
> hundreds of megabytes of the iTunes abomination and a separate computer,
> the free Apple App Store apps wouldn't even work on another person's device
> anyway due to the Orwellian ID issues inherent in the restricted iOS
> ecosystem.

as you've been repeatedly told, that is not true.

*you* may not know how, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 1:21:58 AM7/22/18
On 21 Jul 2018 21:38:16 GMT, nospam wrote:

> as you've been repeatedly told, that is not true.
>
> *you* may not know how, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

True to form, you always advertise your non-existent imaginary iOS
functionality, such that the iOS gullibles can follow you .. oh wait ... I
think the OP already gave up, did he not?

Savageduck

Jul 22, 2018, 1:39:15 AM7/22/18
On Jul 21, 2018, Arlen Holder wrote
(in article <pj149l$7mj$1...@news.mixmin.net>):
The OP(Wade Garrett) gave up when you butted in and started waxing on with
regard to Android. Since the OP asked his question with reference to getting
a copy of an app from his iPad(iOS not Android) to his iPad Mini (iOS not
Android),your contribution was irrelevant to this thread, and only started
your usual flame war involving the usual suspects.

He then returned to the thread to respond to JR’s suggestion, which was
unsuccessful. Since the app was a solitaire game, he decided to choose one of
the multitude of solitaire games free, or fee, available in the App Store.
Problem solved for this particular OP.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

David Empson

Jul 22, 2018, 3:05:14 AM7/22/18
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2018-07-21, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <pivjqt$nnh$1...@news.albasani.net>, Wade Garrett
> ><wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.
> >>
> >> With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
> >> from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?
> >
> > it should still be available for download for you even though new users
> > cannot download it anymore.

That depends on how deeply it was removed from App Store. If the
developer or Apple chose to completely remove it, then there is no way
to re-download it on any device.

> > it would also be available in an itunes backup.
>
> Yep.

Nope.

iOS backups (iTunes or iCloud) have never contained copies of apps.

The only way iTunes got a copy of an app (in its library, NOT in the iOS
device backup) were:

(a) iTunes 12.6.x and earlier downloaded the app itself from App Store,
while the app existed; or

(b) iTunes 12.6.x and earlier synced the app from a device running iOS
8.x or earlier. (iOS 9 and later don't allow syncing apps to iTunes
because of App Thinning.)

(c) User manually put a copy of the app there, sourced from (a) or (b).

If the app has been removed from App Store, running iTunes 12.6.x now
won't help because it can't download an app from App Store that is no
longer available for re-download.

If the iPad with the app is running iOS 9 or later, there is also no way
to get a copy of the app from the iPad (short of jailbreaking).

Even if the iPad was jailbroken, a copy of the app might not work on a
different iPad model, depending on their precise details such as display
size and processor generation, because App Thinning may have stripped
out code and assets not required by the model on which the app was
downloaded.

Furthermore, the copy of that app on the iPad is in a fragile state
because if the iPad is erased and restored, there is no way to reinstall
that app. Nor can the app be installed on a replacement for that iPad.

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

sms

Jul 22, 2018, 10:37:33 AM7/22/18
On 7/22/2018 12:05 AM, David Empson wrote:

> That depends on how deeply it was removed from App Store. If the
> developer or Apple chose to completely remove it, then there is no way
> to re-download it on any device.

That's the same way the Google Play Store works for Android, though
Android is not as strict regarding side-loading. You just have to enable
"Unknown Sources."

Side-loading is a big security risk, and Apple had good reason to not
allow it.

Jolly Roger

Jul 22, 2018, 10:55:29 AM7/22/18
On 2018-07-21, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
> On 7/21/18 5:57 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2018-07-21, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>>> Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.
>>>
>>> With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
>>> from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?
>>
>> You can install and use iTunes version 12.6.4 to download iOS apps from
>> the App Store to your computer, and sync them with an iOS device you
>> want:
>>
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079>
>>
>> I keep a macOS install with this version of iTunes in a VMware Fusion VM
>> for app archival purposes. I have ever version of every app installed on
>> all of my iOS devices archived going back a few years.
>
> I d/l iTunes 12.6.4 and installed it- but it wouldn't run. Error message
> said something about an existing file- or maybe the library- was created
> with a later version.

Install it on another machine that you aren't using for iTunes. Or hold
down Option while launching iTunes and create a new alternate library
just for this version.

Wade Garrett

Jul 22, 2018, 12:41:48 PM7/22/18
Yup, that precisely sums it up!

--
Twenty years of schooling and they put you on the day shift…
- Bob Dylan

Wade Garrett

Jul 22, 2018, 2:18:41 PM7/22/18
On 7/22/18 10:55 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2018-07-21, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

>>> You can install and use iTunes version 12.6.4 to download iOS apps from
>>> the App Store to your computer, and sync them with an iOS device you
>>> want:
>>>
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079>
>>>
>>> I keep a macOS install with this version of iTunes in a VMware Fusion VM
>>> for app archival purposes. I have ever version of every app installed on
>>> all of my iOS devices archived going back a few years.
>>
>> I d/l iTunes 12.6.4 and installed it- but it wouldn't run. Error message
>> said something about an existing file- or maybe the library- was created
>> with a later version.
>
> Install it on another machine that you aren't using for iTunes. Or hold
> down Option while launching iTunes and create a new alternate library
> just for this version.

I'll give that a try-- but not for a while.

I've had enough computer excitement here lately between a major cock-up
at the Genius Bar on my wife's Mac and a failed Time Machine USB hard
drive for mine.

Everything's on a pretty even keel right now and I'd like to just enjoy
it for the time being!

--
Sir, we’re surrounded.

Good, then we can attack in any direction.
-- Lt. General Lewis "Chesty" Puller

Zaidy036

Jul 22, 2018, 5:07:32 PM7/22/18
On 7/21/2018 11:34 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.
>
> With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
> from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?

Late to reply but set up Family Share to iStore and should work in future.

--
Zaidy036

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 7:01:16 PM7/22/18
On 21 Jul 2018 22:39:09 GMT, Savageduck wrote:

> The OP(Wade Garrett) gave up when you butted in and started waxing on with
> regard to Android.

Look again Savageduck.

Follow the posting trail. I didn't bring up Android. I just responded to
what someone else said about Android, and, more to the point, last week I
asked a similar question where the answer came back that the only way to do
what my question asked, was to use the imaginary iOS functionality that
only Jolly Roger and nospam know about.

> Since the OP asked his question with reference to getting
> a copy of an app from his iPad(iOS not Android) to his iPad Mini (iOS not
> Android),your contribution was irrelevant to this thread, and only started
> your usual flame war involving the usual suspects.

Don't feel too sorry that the OP had to give up using iOS, Savageduck.

Besides, maybe you should see the idiotic "advice" the OP posted earlier
today to my thread on removing a clutch (which I'm in the middle of at this
moment).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1315488bellhousing04.jpg>

All Wade Garrett did was unhelpfully troll my thread, where I'm actually
trying to help him in this thread by telling him the facts about what he
can and cannot do on iOS instead of providing imaginary iOS functionality.

*There's a good _reason_ he gave up trying on iOS, & it's not my posts.*
(You Apple Apologists love to blame everything else for your failures.)

> He then returned to the thread to respond to JR¢s suggestion, which was
> unsuccessful. Since the app was a solitaire game, he decided to choose one of
> the multitude of solitaire games free, or fee, available in the App Store.
> Problem solved for this particular OP.

I understand. If I "just gave up" every time I had an issue, like the OP
just did this week, I'd never get anywhere either.

BTW, I almost never fail to do what I want on Linux, rarely on Windows,
sometimes on Android, and almost always on iOS (since iOS can't do what I
want to do, which, in this case, is copy any free installed app of any
version from any one phone to any other phone and then have it work on that
other phone even when the IDs are not the same).
How do you install hundreds of free apps on your iOS device from
all your friend's and other people's iOS devices?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/hryIbiJk-7k>

Notice that you can do what I want on Linux.
You can do it on Windows.
You can do it on Android.
But it can't be done on iOS.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 8:42:37 PM7/22/18
Hi sms,
While loading apps from outside the app store can mean the app may not be
vetted, there are a ton of reasonable ameliorations to your comments above
that any well educated person would take into account.

The first caveat is that this user *already installed* the app, so if the
app were malware, he doesn't get more malware by copying the app from one
mobile device to another (which he could do if it were Android).

While that first caveat is the major point I want to make regarding your
point that sideloading is "dangerous", another point is that many of the
sideloaded apps are from F-Droid, where I'm not sure how much vetting is
done, but most (all?) the apps on F-droid are open source, so, if vetting
is being done, it's easily enough done, is it not?

Having said those two points, there is a third point which is that malware
*has* gotten into both the Google Play and Apple App Store, so, even sans
sideloading, malware can still be gotten from the big boys.

Having said that, I do agree with you that sideloading is certainly more
dangerous than not sideloading, just as a chainsaw is more dangerous than a
hand saw for chopping down trees.

As a reasonable adult, half of the decisions I think that are made on this
iOS newsgroup seem to be psychologically because people are scared of the
unknown, whereas on the Android newsgroup, the decisions are made because
people want functionality.

It's *always* going to be a tradeoff between martial law and freedom, where
iOS is mostly an Orwellian locked-down ecosystem, and Android is sort of
like the wild west, where the user has freedom to do what he chooses.

To summarize for this thread, the OP has already given up, which is pretty
much the only thing he can do, which is exactly what both you and I told
him was his option (if he can't find the app and version he wants in the
App Store).

From a psychological perspective, it's interesting that Savageduck blames
Android (and me, by way of extension) for the OP having to "just give up",
where even the OP concurred with Savageduck that it's "my fault" that he
had to "just give up", which is funny considering David Empson clearly
explained that both you and I were right (as we almost always are, since we
speak facts, and facts are funny that way).

Besides the interesting psychology of Savageduck and the OP blaming me (and
Android by extension) for the OP's inability to do what he wants to do on
iOS, it's also interesting that both nospam and Jolly Roger yet again
fabricated wholly imaginary iOS functionality, which the OP declined to
follow (luckily for him, as their 'advice' never works since they just make
it all up as they did in this thread earlier this week):
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/hryIbiJk-7k>
How do you install hundreds of free apps on your iOS device from all your friend's and other people's iOS devices?

Since you and I only speak facts, we've never been wrong yet (there may be
a corner case where we may have inadvertently been wrong, but nobody can
find that case, but it's always a possibility - but it's gonna be rare).

Facts are funny that way.

Yet, in that thread and in this thread and in almost every thread, both
Jolly Roger and nospam are always found to be dead wrong.

In summary, the psychology of Savageduck and the OP to blame Android for
their inability to do what they want on iOS is indeed strange - but - more
perplexing is the psychology of Jolly Roger and nospam who incessantly
fabricate imaginary iOS functionality as they did in this and almost every
thread where a question of iOS functionality is asked that they don't like.

Why?

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 8:42:38 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 00:05:13 GMT, David Empson wrote:

> That depends on how deeply it was removed from App Store. If the
> developer or Apple chose to completely remove it, then there is no way
> to re-download it on any device.

To the OP, Wade Garrett,

There are only about a half dozen people on this entire newsgroup who both
know what they're talking about, and, who don't just make up imaginary iOS
functionality ... and David Empson is the number one technical guy on this
newsgroup, bar none.

Since David Empson is the only one posting to this thread who knows what
he's talking about (and who doesn't just make up imaginary iOS
functionality), I suggest the OP listen carefully to everything David
Empson says.

What I say, and certainly what Jolly Roger and nospam and Savageduck say,
is meaningless compared to what David Empson says, simply because he has a
history of credibility that far surpasses anything ever said by the likes
of Jolly Roger, nospam, and Saveageduck (all of whom fabricate imaginary
iOS functionality all the time).

To wit:
If David Empson says "there is no way to re-download it", then there is no
way to re-download it. Period.

>>> it would also be available in an itunes backup.
>>
>> Yep.
>
> Nope.

To the OP, I would love for you to try the imaginary iOS functionality that
both Jolly Roger and nospam spout, because I've been watching both of them
brazenly fabricate imaginary iOS functionality for years, where *nobody*
has ever been successful following their "advice" since they just make this
stuff up without batting an eye (i.e., they have zero credibility).

It's a separate question as to why nospam and Jolly Roger constantly
fabricate imaginary iOS functionality, but if David Empson says it can't be
done, then that's definitive since he's one of the rare posters on this ng
who have any credibility (where David Empson has *always* been right).

> iOS backups (iTunes or iCloud) have never contained copies of apps.
>
> The only way iTunes got a copy of an app (in its library, NOT in the iOS
> device backup) were:
>
> (a) iTunes 12.6.x and earlier downloaded the app itself from App Store,
> while the app existed; or
>
> (b) iTunes 12.6.x and earlier synced the app from a device running iOS
> 8.x or earlier. (iOS 9 and later don't allow syncing apps to iTunes
> because of App Thinning.)
>
> (c) User manually put a copy of the app there, sourced from (a) or (b).
>
> If the app has been removed from App Store, running iTunes 12.6.x now
> won't help because it can't download an app from App Store that is no
> longer available for re-download.

This is what we have been trying to explain to the OP, who has been
listening, instead, to the fabricated functionality of nospam and Jolly
Roger (who, like Snit, just make this stuff up).

Why both nospam and Jolly Roger incessantly fabricate imaginary iOS
functionality is a question for the psychologists.

> If the iPad with the app is running iOS 9 or later, there is also no way
> to get a copy of the app from the iPad (short of jailbreaking).
>
> Even if the iPad was jailbroken, a copy of the app might not work on a
> different iPad model, depending on their precise details such as display
> size and processor generation, because App Thinning may have stripped
> out code and assets not required by the model on which the app was
> downloaded.
>
> Furthermore, the copy of that app on the iPad is in a fragile state
> because if the iPad is erased and restored, there is no way to reinstall
> that app. Nor can the app be installed on a replacement for that iPad.

It appears, yet again, that I was right, although I only speak facts where
mine were empirical and where David Empson's knowledge and detail far
surpass mine.

If I understood David Empson's post, it seems the OP's choices are:
a. Find the app on the app store (if it still exists), or,
b. Just give up.

Just like I said (and I think sms said also), since neither of us
fabricates imaginary iOS functionality like nospam and Jolly Roger
habitually do.

Oh, Savageduck: Don't blame me for what David Empson said.
All I speak are facts.

People like Savageduck don't like facts, so they blame Android for their
lack of ability to do what they want with iOS, which happened here in this
very thread.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 8:42:39 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 09:41:46 GMT, Wade Garrett wrote:

> Yup, that precisely sums it up!

I think this post is classically humorous in that you (and Savageduck and
nospam) always seem to blame Android for your inability to do what you want
with iOS.

Blaming Android for iOS failures is one of the half-dozen common consistent
traits of all the Apple Apologists.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 9:04:17 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 11:18:40 GMT, Wade Garrett wrote:

> I'll give that a try-- but not for a while.
>
> I've had enough computer excitement here lately between a major cock-up
> at the Genius Bar on my wife's Mac and a failed Time Machine USB hard
> drive for mine.
>
> Everything's on a pretty even keel right now and I'd like to just enjoy
> it for the time being!

Hi Wade Garrett,
Since you were so "helpful" on my clutch thread today, I'll advise you to
*follow* the directions of nospam and Jolly Roger.

Please do.
I've been watching them give their advice for many years.
So I already know the outcome ... but you don't.

*Hence, please do let us know how well their advice works out for you!*

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 9:04:18 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 14:07:31 GMT, Zaidy036 wrote:

> Late to reply but set up Family Share to iStore and should work in future.

On Android, all you'd need to do is package up the already-installed app

You can package up any app to an APK even if it was installed *years* ago.
You can even package up the system apps (if you really want them).
And, you can package up the carrier apps (if you really want them).

You can package any version, and keep all versions, all automatically.
And, if it's a free app, the original install ID won't matter one bit.
So you can cull apps off of anyone's phone anywhere you find them.

In my experience having populated phones this way for years on many Android
phones, there is an extremely high probability (over 95% IMHO) that the app
will work on Android devices that are *years* newer and multiple OS
versions different.
How to populate your Android phone with hundreds of apps without ever enabling Google Play (or F-Droid)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/IUNBsY5F_Ho>

On iOS, what can you do to copy an already-installed app to an IPA?

According to David Empson, you have two choices if you didn't save the app:
a. Find just the latest version on the Apple App Store, or,
b. Just give up.

Pick one.

Savageduck

Jul 22, 2018, 9:47:39 PM7/22/18
On Jul 22, 2018, Arlen Holder wrote
(in article <pj32br$eel$1...@news.mixmin.net>):

> On 21 Jul 2018 22:39:09 GMT, Savageduck wrote:
>
> > The OP(Wade Garrett) gave up when you butted in and started waxing on with
> > regard to Android.
>
> Look again Savageduck.
>
> Follow the posting trail. I didn't bring up Android. I just responded to
> what someone else said about Android,

In spades!

You didn’t bother to read, and/or understand the OP’s response to what
was an obviously sarcastic remark recommending the OP switch to Android. Here
is what he said, and what you did not appreciate.

"I have a couple of Androids-- but what I'm trying to do here is copy an app
from/to an iPad. Got any suggestions to do that?”

> and, more to the point, last week I
> asked a similar question where the answer came back that the only way to do
> what my question asked, was to use the imaginary iOS functionality that
> only Jolly Roger and nospam know about.

Irrelevant to the OP’s issue.

> > Since the OP asked his question with reference to getting
> > a copy of an app from his iPad(iOS not Android) to his iPad Mini (iOS not
> > Android),your contribution was irrelevant to this thread, and only started
> > your usual flame war involving the usual suspects.
>
> Don't feel too sorry that the OP had to give up using iOS, Savageduck.

You might not have noticed, the OP did not give up using iOS. Since you like
facts, the fact is he chose to replace the solitair app from the Apple App
Store.

> Besides, maybe you should see the idiotic "advice" the OP posted earlier
> today to my thread on removing a clutch (which I'm in the middle of at this
> moment).
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1315488bellhousing04.jpg>

Also irrelevant to the iOS issue under discussion in this thread.

> All Wade Garrett did was unhelpfully troll my thread,

The two threads in different NGs are unrelated.

> where I'm actually trying to help him in this thread by telling him the facts about what he
> can and cannot do on iOS instead of providing imaginary iOS functionality.

Actually you are doing nothing of the sort. You are just loud mouthing about
your perceived virtues of Android. ...and not one word on how he could solve
his iOS issue.

> *There's a good _reason_ he gave up trying on iOS, & it's not my posts.*
> (You Apple Apologists love to blame everything else for your failures.)

Your posts were of no help.

> > He then returned to the thread to respond to JR's suggestion, which was
> > unsuccessful. Since the app was a solitaire game, he decided to choose one
> > of the multitude of solitaire games free, or fee, available in the App Store.
> > Problem solved for this particular OP.

<<irrelevant blather snipped>>

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

Jul 22, 2018, 9:52:10 PM7/22/18
On Jul 22, 2018, Arlen Holder wrote
(in article <pj389r$nd6$3...@news.mixmin.net>):

<<Irrelevant blather removed>>

> In summary, the psychology of Savageduck and the OP to blame Android for
> their inability to do what they want on iOS is indeed strange - but - more
> perplexing is the psychology of Jolly Roger and nospam who incessantly
> fabricate imaginary iOS functionality as they did in this and almost every
> thread where a question of iOS functionality is asked that they don't like.

You come to some very strange and incorrect conclusions, that say more about
you than they do about any other participants in this thread.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Savageduck

Jul 22, 2018, 10:00:04 PM7/22/18
On Jul 22, 2018, Arlen Holder wrote
(in article <pj389t$nd6$4...@news.mixmin.net>):

> On 22 Jul 2018 00:05:13 GMT, David Empson wrote:
>
> > That depends on how deeply it was removed from App Store. If the
> > developer or Apple chose to completely remove it, then there is no way
> > to re-download it on any device.
>
> To the OP, Wade Garrett,
>
> There are only about a half dozen people on this entire newsgroup who both
> know what they're talking about, and, who don't just make up imaginary iOS
> functionality ... and David Empson is the number one technical guy on this
> newsgroup, bar none.
>
> Since David Empson is the only one posting to this thread who knows what
> he's talking about (and who doesn't just make up imaginary iOS
> functionality), I suggest the OP listen carefully to everything David
> Empson says.
>
> What I say, and certainly what Jolly Roger and nospam and Savageduck say,
> is meaningless compared to what David Empson says, simply because he has a
> history of credibility that far surpasses anything ever said by the likes
> of Jolly Roger, nospam, and Saveageduck (all of whom fabricate imaginary
> iOS functionality all the time).
>
> To wit:
> If David Empson says "there is no way to re-download it", then there is no
> way to re-download it. Period.

> > > Yep.
> >
> > Nope.
>
> To the OP, I would lo...

<<Verbose ramblings removed>>

> Oh, Savageduck: Don't blame me for what David Empson said.

Did I? Please cite where I “blamed” you for anything other than being a
compulsive PIA.

> All I speak are facts.

Right!

> People like Savageduck don't like facts,

Actually I have lived my life dealing with facts.

> so they blame Android for their lack of ability to do what they want with iOS, which happened here in this
> very thread.

Again, please cite where I, or any of the usual suspects have ever blamed
Android, for anything in this, or any other thread.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 10:58:29 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 18:52:05 GMT, Savageduck wrote:

>> In summary, the psychology of Savageduck and the OP to blame Android for
>> their inability to do what they want on iOS is indeed strange - but - more
>> perplexing is the psychology of Jolly Roger and nospam who incessantly
>> fabricate imaginary iOS functionality as they did in this and almost every
>> thread where a question of iOS functionality is asked that they don't like.
>
> You come to some very strange and incorrect conclusions, that say more about
> you than they do about any other participants in this thread.

Hi Savageduck,

You are correct that the fact I wonder what is so very odd about you Apple
Apologists, whom I've seen in action consistently playing the same silly
games for decades, says a lot about my intellectual curiosity.

You and I have been on Usenet for decades where we've met a lot of strange
people (e.g., Snit as one example).

I put Snit in the same psychological category as Jolly Roger, where they
will never grow up, but I assumed that you and nospam are in a slightly
elevated category, where I assume you have the capacity to act like an
adult would act.

What you did in this thread was post six times now, where not a single one
of your posts addressed the OP's issue. I posted also, where I was the
*first* person to address the OP's issue with a correct response (where
both sms and David Empson gave the same response - with less detail from
sms and far more detail from David Empson).

Those are facts.

What I've noticed about you is that you don't like facts, where, for
example, whenever I post a question to r.p.d, and you figure out that the
question is from me, you call me a troll, even as you never know the answer
to *any* of the technical questions I pose to that ng.

It's interesting that your psychology seems to be that if you don't know
the answer to a technical question, then the question, in your mind, must
be a troll.

I've always wondered (for years) why you consistently act that way.

There's something about your particular psychology that equates technical
questions that you don't know the answer to, to trolls.

Most adults who don't know the answer to a technical question sill simply
move on to the next question (certainly I do that all the time since I
generally read every post in these newsgroups, but I only respond to those
where I feel I can add technical value).

In this particular thread, the OP asked how to do something, where I
correctly informed him that he can't do it. Bearing in mind that I only
speak facts, hence I'm almost never wrong (facts are funny that way), it
was interesting, psychologically, to see Jolly Roger and nospam *repeatedly
scream out that they told us many times how to do what the OP can't do.

In fact, the OP even *tried* the imaginary methods proposed by Jolly Roger
(and maybe even the imaginary methods spewed by nospam), all to no avail.

These are facts, Savageduck.

That you apparently don't like facts is interesting, to me, from a
psychological standpoint. That both Jolly Roger and nospam habitually
brazenly fabricate imaginary iOS functionality that sends Ops on a while
goose chase is interesting to me from a psychological standpoint too.

It's not as interesting that I, David Empson and sms simply tell the truth,
because that is normal adult behavior.

Given that you and Jolly Roger and nospam and the other Apple Apologists
consistently blame everyone and everything other than iOS for iOS' faults,
is interesting to me.

Hence, you are correct that the fact I wonder what is so very odd about you
Apple Apologists, whom I've seen in action consistently playing the same
silly games for decades, says a lot about my intellectual curiosity.

Arlen Holder

Jul 22, 2018, 10:58:31 PM7/22/18
On 22 Jul 2018 18:47:33 GMT, Savageduck wrote:

> You didnÿt bother to read, and/or understand the OPÿs response to what
> was an obviously sarcastic remark recommending the OP switch to Android. Here
> is what he said, and what you did not appreciate.

Hi Savageduck,
I assume you're an adult, so I assume you can handle facts.
I didn't recommend the OP switch to Android - and I didn't bring up
Android, as you can see from just looking at the facts.
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/Tufx3qIBZBw/qvrdDl4NCAAJ>

> "I have a couple of Androids-- but what I'm trying to do here is copy an app
> from/to an iPad. Got any suggestions to do that?¡

Remember Savageduck, before you throw stones at glass houses, remember that
you posted multiple times to that thread (yes, multiple times), where not a
single one of your posts was even remotely close to being on topic to what
the OP asked.

You know that's a fact, Savageduck, because not only do I speak facts, but
I can easily back my statements up (facts are funny that way).
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/Tufx3qIBZBw/gPeVojoiCAAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/Tufx3qIBZBw/62UPEo0iCAAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/Tufx3qIBZBw/0quzhQAnCAAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/Tufx3qIBZBw/ooCFANY5CAAJ>

>> and, more to the point, last week I
>> asked a similar question where the answer came back that the only way to do
>> what my question asked, was to use the imaginary iOS functionality that
>> only Jolly Roger and nospam know about.
>
> Irrelevant to the OPÿs issue.

The post I speak of was *extremely* relevant to the OP's issue because the
thread last week proved that the OP couldn't do what he wanted to do, which
was only a tiny subset of what I had wanted to do, with iOS.

If I assume you're an adult, I have to wonder how you don't see that it's
essentially the same question, only for a single app for the OP, whereas it
was for hundreds of apps, for me, and for one ID, whereas for me it was
multiple IDs.

The fact that you can't do it for a single app and ID (which David Empson
confirmed if the app is to be culled from the iPad itself) applies just as
well to the fact that you can't do it for hundreds of apps and multiple
IDs, particularly since the OP is talking about a free app that he received
from the app store that (he says) no longer exists on the app store.

It's a fact that the reason you can't do it for hundreds of apps is the
same reason you can't do it for a single app.

Facts are funny that way. They scale down as well as scaling up.

>> Don't feel too sorry that the OP had to give up using iOS, Savageduck.
>
> You might not have noticed, the OP did not give up using iOS. Since you like
> facts, the fact is he chose to replace the solitair app from the Apple App
> Store.

Don't play silly semantic games with me Savageduck, just because you don't
like facts.

The OP gave up in trying what the OP asked how to do (which both nospam and
Jolly Roger repeatedly assured the OP he could do it, only the OP had to
follow the classic imaginary iOS functionality game in order to do it on
iOS).

So the OP found a *different* app.
In other words, the OP gave up on his original question of saving the
original app, which he had liked.

Now maybe the new app is better, cheaper, faster, more fun, and has fewer
ads and also cures cancer; but the fact that the OP "just gave up" on the
original quest is a fact that you can only play silly games around.

Psychologically, it's interesting that you Apple Apologists always play
these silly games when there is a fact you don't like. As you know, I'm as
old or older than you, with as much experience with computers as you, and
as much experience on the net as you, where I'm on plenty of other
newsgroups.

Only on the Apple newsgroups are these silly childish games so prevalent!
(The Linux newsgroup is almost devoid of them, the Windows group has its
trolls but for the most part, people accept the truth about their platform
of choice, and on Android, most people are factual and realistic).

It's only on the Apple groups that people can't seem to handle facts.
*It's as if your entire belief system is entirely devoid of factual basis.*

>> Besides, maybe you should see the idiotic "advice" the OP posted earlier
>> today to my thread on removing a clutch (which I'm in the middle of at this
>> moment).
>> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1315488bellhousing04.jpg>
>
> Also irrelevant to the iOS issue under discussion in this thread.

It's relevant to my comment that you need not "feel sorry" for the OP.
Here's the OP's EXACT comment to my technical question on another ng:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/qEhph1MmSKs/3cNNbzzcAwAJ>

>> All Wade Garrett did was unhelpfully troll my thread,
> The two threads in different NGs are unrelated.

The comment is related to the fact that I was being purposefully helpful to
the OP by telling him the truth, where, in return, the OP trolled my thread
asking for help in removing my transmission.

>> where I'm actually trying to help him in this thread by telling him the facts about what he
>> can and cannot do on iOS instead of providing imaginary iOS functionality.
>
> Actually you are doing nothing of the sort. You are just loud mouthing about
> your perceived virtues of Android. ...and not one word on how he could solve
> his iOS issue.

Savageduck,
You need to act like an adult for at least once in your life.

These are facts:
a. People who told the OP the truth: David Empson, sms, and I
b. People who repeatedly told the OP fabrications: Jolly Roger and nospam
c. People who repeatedly posted *only* unrelated drivel: Savageduck

Those are facts.

>> *There's a good _reason_ he gave up trying on iOS, & it's not my posts.*
>> (You Apple Apologists love to blame everything else for your failures.)
>
> Your posts were of no help.

Savageduck,
I only speak fact.

The fact is that I was the first person to tell the OP the truth.
The fact is that sms was the second person to tell the OP the truth.
The fact is that David Empson told the OP the truth (with great detail).

I suspect the main reason David Empson felt he had to intervene is because
Jolly Roger and nopsam yet again brazenly fabricated imaginary iOS
functionality that the OP said was too complicated to follow fully and that
the OP said failed in what he could follow.

Hence the OP gave up on the original task and found a workaround, which was
to go find another app.

Meanwhile, you posted, I think, four times to that thread (five counting
the one above) where not a single post of yours had *anything* whatsoever
to do with the OP's problem set - and worse - all you did in your fourth
post was complain that the factual posts from me were what caused the OP to
fail, when what caused the OP to fail was the fact that he can't do what he
wants to do on iOS. Period.

*Hence, you blame others for the faults of iOS.*

I think that's fitting since I already said that's a classic psychological
trait of you Apple Apologists.

These are facts.

You may not like that those are facts.
But they are facts nonetheless.

> <<irrelevant blather snipped>>

Please grow up Savageduck.
How old are you? 60? 70? 80?

When will you ever mature?

It's interesting how to spew incorrect statements, and I only speak facts,
and then when I easily refute your incorrect statements (facts are funny
that way), then you childishly call it "irrelevant blather".

Calum

Jul 24, 2018, 7:16:22 AM7/24/18
On 21/07/2018 16:34, Wade Garrett wrote:
> Got a purchased (free) app on my iPad that's no longer in the App Store.
>
> With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
> from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?

iMazing. Has a free trial if you don't intend to make a habit of it.

https://imazing.com

Arlen Holder

Jul 24, 2018, 12:51:45 PM7/24/18
On 24 Jul 2018 04:16:21 GMT, Calum wrote:

>> With Apps no longer managed by iTunes and with no downloadable access
>> from Purchased/Not on this Device, how can I get a copy onto my iPad Mini?
>
> iMazing. Has a free trial if you don't intend to make a habit of it.
>
> https://imazing.com

Based on the idiotic posts of the OP Wade Garrett in this thread, and in
the clutch thread where Wade Garrett is childishly stalking me by posting
even more idiotic drivel that just proves Wade Garrett is an utter moron,
intelligent people are going to have to solve his problem for him.

If it were my problem, I'd solve it, but Wade Garrett as already said he
would rather "just give up".

For those who don't "just give up", it's good that you brought up a
potential solution in iMazing, which I don't use (since I just connect any
iOS device to my desktop and the entire visible file system, which includes
system logs, is available to me for read and write, simultaneously with
Windows and Linux file systems (as explained in a recent thread about two
weeks ago).

But my free iOS r/w file-system access method doesn't archive IPAs.
So it's good that you thought of a potential solution in iMazing.

Looking at your iMazing link, it says:
"Easily copy all the content from your old iPhone or iPad to a new one.
Choose which iOS apps and data you want to keep.
iMazing ensures a private and configurable data transfer,
without iTunes or iCloud."

So this is *great* that iMazing doesn't use the iTunes abomination or the
iCloud, since nobody should ever be forced to use the cloud just to get
something simple like an app copied from one device to another.

Looking for more of what iMazing does related to what was asked, it says:
"Unlike iTunes and iCloud, iMazing *never overwrites* your iPhone and
iPad backups. And doesn't require paid cloud storage. Reliable and
innovative, it's the only software on the market to offer an
automatic backup and archive solution, for free."

Looking for what it does with app IPAs, it says:
"*Unlike iTunes and iCloud*, iMazing gives you full control over
your iPhone data transfer. You're free to choose which iOS apps
and what data you would like to keep on your new iPhone or iPad.
All pictures and videos of the Photos app
iPhone Messages, Call history and Voicemail
App data, such as game progress, documents, or chat conversations
Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Voice memos and Safari bookmarks
Apple Watch, Health, and Homekit data"

Unfortunately for the OP, I don't see anything about app IPAs though.
Do you?